Hi Tricia!

Tricia Wang loves NYC and the world! DISCLAIMER: DON'T TAKE THIS BLOG TOO SERIOUSLY!

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Beyond Broadcast: My Thoughts on the Conference Overall


Beyond Broadcast conference @ Harvard Law School
kenyatta and I just got back to Brooklyn from the Beyond Broadcast conference Harvard University's Berkman Center.

I was really excited to attend the conference to meetwork with attendees and learn how traditional public broadcast media could embrace new participatory web-based media to better serve public interest. My former excitement was fulfilled, and my latter was sadly overly-fulfilled not by the conference panels itself - but more through the dinner talks and casual in-between panel breaks.

I was disappointed with the substance of the conference b.c I felt like speakers were still trying to figure out how to make traditional public media work for them in a Web 2.0 world, versus public media institution embracing and implementing the entire Web 2.0 paradigm in it's practice, mission, process and goals. With the exception of the talk by James Doyle, Mark Cooper, Ezter Hargittai and Terry Heaton - I didn't feel any of the other presenters really daringly trespassed Beyond the edges of Broadcast.

What was also disappointing was that were so many individual attendees present working on projects exploring media that uses participatory tools and are truly exemplifying what a world Beyond Broadcast looks like. So it was hard to take the presenters seriously when so many attendees in the room could've contributed to discussing how their work is relevant to public interest media institutions.

I would've liked to see:here are some people/projects I think would've been cool to invite:

It was great to reconnect with Josh Kinberg, Jay Dedman, Rhea Mokund, and Jennifer Harris! I'll see many of you in Second Life.

Overall, I think this conference important in that it convened so many people who are working in this area and I definitely hope to see it take place again next year! If it wasn't for this, I would've have met a lot of new folks. I definitely learned a lot about digital gaming and beyond broadcast life during dinners and bathroom breaks - and plus now i am on Second Life! My name is Tricia Enzyme if you wanna meet me!

Because of this conference, I met so many more amazing people who are working on these themes that made me wonder why they weren't presenting. And these are just a few of the people!

ps for your conference addicts and if you happen to be in the Bay Area, attend the Netsquared Conference on remixing the web for social change.

Berkman in Second LifeOriginally uploaded by eszter.





Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home