Hi Tricia!

Tricia Wang loves NYC and the world! DISCLAIMER: DON'T TAKE THIS BLOG TOO SERIOUSLY!

Monday, March 13, 2006

I Love Black People T-Shirt


Fort greene, brooklyn

something about this shirt really bothers me. Its like if a chinese person wore a shirt that says "Afro Power" and thinking that it's cool cuz they are sooooo ironic. The reality is that there r people who don't like black people and there's a long history of that founded on slavery in the US where blacks did not get enough "love" or it was being done behing closed doors. So now in post civil rights era it is acceptable for liberalized folks to openly "love" blacks. So the shirt is cool cuz one can publicly declare their love for black people? Hmmmm i know a lot of people will say I am taking it too far - that it's just a shirt and chill out. But in light of those popular "funny" shirts being sold in urban Outfitters, Acrocombie & Fitch - where they say things like "everyone loves an asian" or "buddha's tummy is bigger than asian ___." It's just that I can't help but ask that we think a bit more about why these pop shirts carry meaning - and why is there humor or irony - and who is buying these shirts? I also wonder if people who buy them every stop to think of how it makes someone else feel. When I see people who aren't asian - that means blacks, whites or latinos wearing shirts that are obviously making fun of asians - it really pisses me off. so that's why campaings like these are important: wearingracism.blogspot.com


Technorati Tags: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the shirts are supposed to be worn by Black people, which makes it sort of humorous and completely acceptable. It know it must be hard to imagine that someone would create a product with someone other than Whites in mind, but I think the designers were assuming Black people would wear the shirts.

Anyway, I was hoping you'd mention where to buy one.

Yes, I'm Black.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home